Monday, October 19, 2009

Pulp Redux

Things have been a little hectic of late, now I know that sounds familiar but well that's life here, always on the go! For those of you that don't already know I am so pleased to announce that I am a part of what I am sure is going to be a fabulous altered book collaboration with another 5 wonderful artists! Introducing...


Pulp Redux!

A fabulous altered book collaboration with Lisa from Lucky Dip, Debrina from Debrina's Diary, Alicia from Altered Bits, Andrea from
The Artful Eye
and Lisa from Mudhound Primitives and yours truly of course, LOL! We would of course love to have you all pop in and follow the collaboration as it makes its progress across continents and countries changing, altering and growing along the way. Click on the logo below or the sidebar of this blog to jump over for a peek. Don't forget to say hi while you're there either!



So what am I doing for the collaboration...

well that would be a book you sillies, LOL!

Oh, okay, you really want to know the details, well here goes.
In keeping with the pulp redux theme, I have gone for an already exisiting book to alter rather than a new book construction.

The book below is the choice, a Dutch text -'An Introduction to English Art'.

How apt an art book for an altered book, LOL!




As you can see just you're average book. The book is 10" x 7" so large enough for plenty of fun but hopefully not to large to post as weight will be an issue as it progresses through everyone.

The book has some beautiful pictures and I have had to thin it down by a third to accomodate lumps and bumps for additions by everyone so out went the gorgeous pics. I have included one here to show you.



Gainsborough, Yummmm!


After some thinning, time to get to work creating a cover. Nothing too complex. It needs to set the theme but not be too heavy for postage or overly embellished as I don't want bits falling off with postage and handling and also as I expect I will be rebinding the book on it's eventual return back to Oz, so simple to kick off I think!

Time to chop!


Wow, aren't old book boards tough going but at last a hole. The start of what will be a niche for the new title of the book.
For those of you who know me, I think I will be doing a little more altering here.
That blue has got to go and I have one or two other ideas as well.

Don't forget to pop over to the Pulp Redux blog site and say hi. We would love to hear from you all!

Now where did I put those matches...

Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog, Kim. Congratulations on your new endeavour, Puilp Redux. Great Expectations!

Caterina Giglio said...

I wondered if you were in on this swap... would have loved to join you, but just a tad busy here! this looks like a great project and cannot wait to see what color you make it and all the great alterations that take place! and theme did you mention....theme???? LOL!

The Weaver of Grass said...

The whole idea is absolutely intriguing - I have never heard of this kind of thing being done - I look forward to seeing it page by page when it is resurrected.

Unknown said...

Sounds like a fun team project! Will look forward to seeing the progress on Pulp Redux (love the name!)
You've inspired me to cut into old book covers & use them for frames!
Can't wait to get started!

Lucky Dip Lisa said...

This is just too cool isn't it? Looking forward to getting your book (although I am last!) and discovering all it's nooks and crannies. You chose a great theme!

Debrina said...

Well it's just too exciting for wrods really Kim, isn't it?!!!

Debrina said...

Make that words, not rods. Hee hee.

~*~Patty S said...

This sounds and looks very exciting, you are off to a wonderful start! I adore altered books and shall be staying tuned ... off to check out your link!

altered bits said...

oooh, i just posted about it (finally) on my blog and duh, i forgot the little pulp redux image. i am sooooooooooooo in love with your newest photos, lady! i really, really can't wait to work on this! it's going to be so very much fun!! i have an idea that i'm really, really excited about for your book.