Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I've finally gone Dottie

Well it's finally happened. I've gone Dottie! No, it's not a misprint, Dottie is spelled that way!
I've taken on the challenge. The Dottie challenge! I will do my utmost to buy only handmade or second hand goods this year!
I should announce right now there will be exceptions!
Some art making supplies will just have to be purchased outright, no ifs or buts!
Food of course and definitely no second hand toilet paper for this girl!
Recycled yes, reused, umm, no thanks! LOL!

But, seriously, I have decided that this will be good for me, make me think outside the box in all sorts of ways!
If you would like to know more about it all, click on the pic below and the link will take you over to the Dottie site.





As part of my Dottie challenge and ways, LOL, I have also signed up to take part in Debs barter challenge site.
(Clink on the link below to find out more)





Deb has created a site to exchange arty goods to help support each other through the challenge. How nice to be able to exchange goods with fellow artists and spend nothing more than a bit of postage costs! You never know what you might find. Check out your stash! Surely you have an excess of something you could exchange here. Now is the time to declutter the studio of all those bits you have been hanging on to and don't really use, make a list, send it to Deb, and we can all work on swaps to support our art and it will be put to the very use you kept it for in the first place!

Of course this may mean some interesting challenges in the workplace wardrobe will occur!
Oh well, they all think I'm crazy already!
Posted by Picasa

14 comments:

Jill Zaheer said...

Oh how I love to read a post that is in the future here in New York- as it's still tuesday, the 19th!
Sending you lots of best wishes for your involvement in Dottie! Remember the sound of music? Julie Andrews made the children's clothes out of the draperies! Well, you asked yourself to think outside the box!! Not sure I could do it though, on the curtains, my are sheer! Happy New Year!

Lucky Dip Lisa said...

Good on ya Kim! I am sure this will be a great journey for you and you'll enjoy it. By the end of it you may even say "Challenge? what challenge! that was easy!" lol.
Have fun and good on you!

Jo Archer said...

Welcome to the gang Kim. We shall support each other when the urge to shop for shiny, new goods becomes too much!

Debrina said...

Hello Kim my dear friend! Glad you weren't too upset over the dissing of your cute possums. I didn't know that your husband was kiwi??? Is he? Or did he live here for a wee while? Well, you really need to send him back here for a little while, because he left 30 million of the little buggers behind! Yes, let's barter - no probs with foxed blank pages (ha ha, I do the same) and of course, you already know I have plenty of books. I'll happily go for some paint-brushes...I mainly need smallish, pointy ones (I really do need to learn their names) rather than flat splayed ones. Does that make sense?? I'll email you with what I can actually offer you, ok? I'm going mainly with Alicia on this one as she has damn near everything I need. Can't wait to get your list. I will post it up next week if needs be. Good on ya for taking on the Dottie challenge!! It won't be easy with art supplies - but hopefully the barter circle might help there...

Debrina said...

PS. Thanks for posting the badge - great stuff!!

Lisa said...

I've added the barter circle to my blog but i'm still a lurker when it comes to the Dottie challenge..not that i buy much new for my art...it's mostly all recycled anyway except for the glue...

The Weaver of Grass said...

I have read about this kind of thing but not sure that I could keep it up for a year.

Caterina Giglio said...

WOOHOO!!! so nice to have you join us Dottie gals!!
you will have so much fun with this!!

of course there are supplies one has to have and new is the only way to get them, but there are so many options and it is just so much FUN! let me know the things you need and we will trade! xo cat

Kim Palmer said...

Thanks for the support everyone, it's nice to be able to share with you all! I will give the studio a thorough going over on the weekend, but feel free to email me with a wanted list if you like and I'll see what I can do! Sometimes I forget I have stuff until I see it written down then I go Oh, I have that! (You all know what I mean, the studio is always in a state of flux!) I'm off to work. Bartering my services for cash, LOL! I will give updates as I go along so you all know how I'm doing!

Anonymous said...

i'm just so excited about all of this. other than art supplies and kid-stuff i don't buy a lot of new stuff anyway, but this will really make me think about my purchases.

i'm going to add a new category to my blog: barter lists. let me know if you create one. mine is right on my site too, and i'm going to be making a banner for it as well. woohooo!

~*~Patty S said...

I am a second hand repurposing kinda gal (was raised that way) .... you Dottie gals are really taking on a super challenge ... very inspiring Kim!
oxo

Unknown said...

Enjoyed your post! While I cannot pledge to buy exclusive second hands, I do my share of estate and garage sale-ing. This year my goal is to use up what I have on hand which is a ton! I am going through my "ephemera box" and hoping to empty it soon on various projects. I believe there is a creative imperative to respect all usable goods that have not been given a chance because in the end, either everything matters, or nothing matters. (If that makes sense!)

Kerin said...

I'm with y'all in spirit! I already get at least 80% of my artsupplies from garage sales, thrift stores and the like.

We have a local "freecycle" Yahoo group and I read that often and also give away a lot of things.

As far as other household things it drops down to about 50/50. So we are still buying half of our things new but it's better than 100% right!

rivergardenstudio said...

I admire your resolve and love garage sales and second hand/junk stores. I can feel here how much fun you have with life! roxanne