Sunday, January 23, 2011

Where does your inspiration come from?


Confessions of a blog hopper!

Right now, right here I will confess all!

I am a blog hopper!

Yes, yes...I am!

I admit to you all that I spend WAY more time than I should in looking!

Truthfully now, I think this probably counts as some sort of major addiction. I can visualise a future in which there will be institutions set up for the rehabilitation of many like minded souls who will require years of therapy in able to live more normal (read that as less addicted) lives, and physiotherapy sessions a plenty aimed at the reduction of flat bottomed butts! This is bound to be a major by-product of blog addiction in the future.

But...

I must say if you are seeking inspiration, then, this is certainly a place where you will find it.

(It is also damn handy to be able to get up and attend to the chores and distractions of life as required then flit back again later for the next drool session as time permits!)


I admit to perusing all manner of others blog types.

I can frequently be found jumping from artist's blogs to decorating blogs, and store blogs etc.
Yes. I do not snobbishly leave out any particular type of blog. In this I am a model of tolerance for all!

In truth though I am looking for inspiration.

The trick is to stop looking at the items as objects and to start to look at them more closely.
Blur the lines and discover.
What is it that appeals to me?

If you are seeking inspiration take a closer look with your artists eyes not your usual 'scanning and immediately passing over it without really seeing it' eyes.

Look at the colours... the hues, shading, tone.

Look at the textures, how they work off each other to form the whole.

Line, form, it's all there. What do you see?

Here's what caught my eye from the world of architecture.

(Disclaimer- The following pics are all from my inspiration files and very naughtily I forgot to list their source, which I would normally do.
Obviously this day I was somewhat distracted but at least had the good sense to file the pics.
So if these came from your blog, let me know and I will credit you as the source, and thank you for the wonderful inspiration!)


A beautiful vaulted ceiling. The sinewness (is that a word???) of the lines caught my eye and the colour shading and depth.

Think...

How can I transfer this to my art?



I'm in love with the texture of the stone, the lines formed by the design of the groined vault.

The cut and smooth set against the rough hewn blocks.

I would love to walk through here and touch the beauty of the stone and hear my footsteps echo.





And who can resist a staircase, winding away out of sight to...


anywhere.




And then there's this ...


the 'piece de resistance'...



Wow! Now that's a staircase!

No way I'm walking down that in my high heels, I'm putting mine on at the bottom, LOL!

(The woman in me is saying I would hate to clean that!)

I'm loving the curved lines.

So there. Flat bottomed people unite!

Confess your sins.

Where do you go to find your inspiration?

Posted by Picasa

14 comments:

MrCachet said...

Um... YOUR BLOG???!!!

Kim Palmer said...

LOL! Too funny Dave!

Kelly said...

Hi Kim. I am a blog hopper too. That's why I started the Artist Blog Hop and I am always perusing through the over 550 blogs currently linked to it! I am very addicted! Hmmm... come to think of it... my back end is looking kind of flat lately! LOL
Those pictures you posted are gorgeous! I could sit and stare at them for hours. Thanks for sharing them.
Hugs

Anonymous said...

these photos are just gorgeous, you naughty little thing. ;)

i wish i were a blog addict. i mean i am, technically, but i have so little time these days that it's a choice between showering, blog hopping or cooking dinner.

right now, my inspiration is from my many books i have filled with ideas, but otherwise, my friend's blogs -- like YOURS. :)

xxo

Caterina Giglio said...

how did I miss this? oh wait it was my birthday, that is how I missed it, was out all day!! lol!! gorgeous photos, and you are right, so much out there, just delish, and good advice about bluring the eyes! great post love! xox

rivergardenstudio said...

What a beautiful church ceiling, and the staircase AND the arches... yes, I am inspired too... roxanne

Anonymous said...

Truly inspirational, Kim. Thanks for sharing.

Debrina said...

Lurvely...stairs to nowhere or to somewhere? Heaven or hell? These all look like they go to the former, thank God! Ha ha.
Anyway, I can give comfort on the blog hopping confession...I do exactly the same. Do we need medication??

Luthien Thye said...

hello Kim :)
such lovely and inspirational things to be found here!! i'm so glad you "hopped" to my blog and left me a trail of breadcrumbs leading me back here!! :)
HUGS!!
luthien :)

Seth said...

I am all about blog hopping for inspiration too. Great post!

Jen Crossley said...

Blogging hopping is a great inspiration to me as well

Wen said...

Beautiful! Winding in and out of the imagination!

Mary C. Nasser said...

LOVE this post, and completely agree that I find inspiration from other artists and blogs. I also find inspiration in nature.
My current post is on 20 inspiring movies about art and artists! :)

So glad I found you through the miz kate dot com Artist blog hop!
I am your newest blog follower. :)
Looking forward to seeing your upcoming posts!

I welcome you to check out my art blog, too!

Best,
Mary C. Nasser
http://www.marycnasser.com/blog.html

Anonymous said...

so there's all my stair pics..on your blog..lol..
maureen bower
eclectic revisited